PV installations are promoted via the non-recurring remuneration (NRR) that covers up to 30% of the capital costs relevant when commissioning a reference system. Roof-top solar power is almost always profitable, since its prices are lower than those of public-grid electricity.
It should be noted that prices paid for power fed into the grid are often very low (www.pvtarif.ch). Therefore, the more electricity is consumed directly on site (self-consumption), the more a solar system will achieve profitability.
«Private consumption communities» (ZEV) allow not only several consumers living in the same house, but also adjoining plots of land to appear as a single customer vis-à-vis the energy supplier. Within a private consumption community, individual power measurings no longer need to be done by the energy supplier. EnergieSchweiz’s guide to private consumption shows what needs to be taken into account when forming a ZEV.
As an alternative, many grid operators offer their clients dedicated billing solutions for private consumption communities. In this case, unlike the ZEV, the consumers remain the grid operator’s customers.
A private self-consumption invoicing for buildings with several end customers based on the grid operator’s measuring data (that the operator needs to provide) is also permitted. The system owner or manager then sells the power produced on site directly to the end consumers.
There are 3 main steps to achieve a high rate of self-consumption:
- correctly dimensioned PV system with the highest possible self-consumption
- power consumption adjusted to production, e.g. heat pumps, electrical water heater, etc.
- installing a battery storage facility
- Guidelines: Leitfaden Eigenverbrauch V 2.2 (in German)
- Formular Berechnung Gestehungskosten Photovoltaikanlage beim ZEV V 7.6.2021 (Excel) (form to calculate production costs of PV for ZEV)
- Information on PV applications
- SwissEnergy: Übersicht zum Eigenverbrauch (overview of self-consumption)
- SwissEnergy: Update 2019 - Abrechnungslösungen für den Eigenverbrauch von Solarstrom (accounting solutions for self-consumption of solar power, in German)
- Übersicht Rückliefertarife der schweizerischen Energieversorger: www.pvtarif.ch (overview of feed-in tariffs offered by Swiss energy suppliers, in German)